Tuesday, May 27, 2008

West what?, Massachusetts

People often want to know where we are living these days. I tell them, "Westport, Massachusetts." This is typically followed by a short blank look, eyebrow raise and head nod. "Oh, Westport. Sure. Yeah." Yeah right! It's okay; we won't judge you for not knowing our tiny town filled with farmers. Truth be told, I had no idea where it was until Marty brought me down here on a date. And now that I know where Westport is, I am learning all sorts of new things while living here.

Lesson #1: This is a rhubarb plant, and fresh rhubarb makes a delicious crisp (especially when combined with fresh strawberries or apples).
Lesson #2: Asparagus grows in single shoots from the ground. However, if you do not cut it early enough, it starts to look like a little Christmas tree.

Lesson #3:Farm fresh eggs are the way to go.
I've officially become collector of the eggs. Everyday I tromp out to the chicken house, say hello to the laying ladies, and let them know what a great job they are doing while I scoop up about 7 or 8 fresh eggs.
Lesson #4: Wool sweaters are hugely unappreciated. Sheering sheep is a dirty job, and poor Marty had to do it this year.
But I think that he enjoyed it...somewhat.
Lesson #5: People take their horses for walks in the country...


...and ride them around the middle school fields.
Lesson #6: When you are short and nervous around full grown horses, all you need is a pony.
Lesson #7: I'm too short to even get on the pony by myself.

As you can tell, we are keeping busy down here in Westport. We love being on the farm, and I am especially loving learning all about this way of life. Speaking of which, I need to go cut some more asparagus. We don't need any more Christmas trees in May.

No comments: