Monday, October 5, 2009

Some books for the little ones

While I was in school at
Framingham State College,
I worked part time in the curriculum section of the library.
This section houses all the teaching materials
for the large teacher training program
and is also connected to all of the children's and YA lit.
I spent HOURS putting away children's books,
occasionally sneaking a few minutes to read through a book or two.
These happen to be two of my favorites I discovered:

I love reading to Dorothy,
and I love that I love the books I get to read to her.
Winter is the Warmest Season is a great book
for looking at something with a different perspective.
It is all about how winter is really the warmest time of year
with warm foods, clothes, burning fires and candles,
blankets piled on beds, and warm baths.
I know that I have a predilection for cooler weather,
but this book is still a fun way to look at winter
even if you don't like the cold.
Hailstones and Halibut Bones is a wonderful
collection of poetry about the colors.
For each color,
the author has thought of objects, smells, feelings,
and all sorts of other things that relate to that color
and woven her thoughts into poems for each.
Dorothy loves listening to these poems
and looking at the pictures.
I think she likes the rhythm of the poetry,
and I love that it is also teaching her about colors.
I hope some of you are able to enjoy these books
as much as we do!
Happy Reading!
1. conference weekend
2. a fantastic daughter
3. the tender mercy of a break from the nausea so I could enjoy all the talks

1 comment:

Jo Jo said...

Wow, if these are the books you are reading your daughter, look out! She's going to be a brain. You are definitely raising the bar.