Monday, February 8, 2010

Wee, sleeket, cowrin, tim'rous beastie...

Living in a basement room, we have had our encounters with quite a few lovely creatures: ants, spiders of all shapes and sizes, and a nasty bunch of earwigs that would not quit in the fall. There have also been those creatures we have never seen but have definitely heard in the walls. I hoped that would always stay the case, but you never can tell what will attract a mouse...

Around 3 this morning I woke up to a loud clinking against our baseboard heaters. Joy of joys. I wasn't quite sure what to make of it at first until I realized it was on the move--from behind our bed to down the side of room, behind our chest of drawers, and--save me now!--behind Dot's crib. Ugh! Luckily, for this poor mother's sanity, Dorothy was in bed with us sound asleep (a typical occurrence when ya'll are sharing a room and the wee one starts fussing).

By this point I had turned on the lamp, elbowed Marty several times to wake him up, and was staring at the spot where I figured our guest was about to emerge. And oh, did he. That little gray mouse came flying out from behind the crib dragging in its mouth one of Dorothy's nuks! I about died! She had thrown one behind the bed the night before, and apparently this seemed like a great treasure to the mouse. That dang little thing would not let go of it. It ran under the crack at the bottom of the door, and even with us talking, the light on, and the door blocking the nuk's path, it pulled and pulled on the silicon nipple, the plastic side banging against the door with every attempt. Finally, after about a minute of trying, it let go and scampered off to some other area of the basement.

Woooowee! I'm laughing about it now, but in the middle of the night it hardly seemed amusing. I had awful dreams about all sorts of things invading our room for the rest of the night.

I hate to say it, wee mousie, but your "best-laid schemes" are coming to an end. The traps go out today.

1. waking up to see the humor
2. making it 6 months before a mouse appeared
3. only seeing one. and hopefully only the one.

4 comments:

Mary Casey said...

I, too, was battling mice this weekend!!! They have invaded my kitchen. Good luck! :)

LL said...

OH. MY. GOSH!!!!
I am no stranger to mice, but to SEE one hauling off with my babies binki, NO WAY!
I'm laughing! (but feeling bad for you) SICK!

Jo Jo said...

THe baby binky going bye bye is hilarious! Sorry. Hate those things. Traps work well. Peanut butter. Usually one means more, but hopefully not.

AM said...

aaaaaahhhhhhh! i hope you get to move soon! that is so not okay. you are a stalwart pioneer woman!

and about my bangs, thanks. i cut them myself so that was so nice to hear =o]. i love reading your blog. sorry i rarely comment. i miss you and being your near-by friend =o]