Saturday, January 1, 2011

And so it begins....

2011. What will you bring, my friend?

I love the start of a new year. I love the quiet of January after the joyful roar of the holidays. I love the new list of goals on which to reflect and refocus.

However, I also love the chance to look back and see just how much we actually do accomplish in a year. So, here it is:

2010 in Review

January: We celebrated a late Christmas/combined birthday for all of Marty's brothers.We loved being able to see everyone together and watch the kids play.

February: Interior work on our house seemed never ending. I took a trip to North Carolina with Dorothy to get away from the chaos. She had her first trip to the ER with a fever of 105 while we were away. She also started to walk.

March: Dorothy and I returned to Massachusetts to find my sweet husband had managed to get our occupancy permit. We came home from the airport, picked up our bed, and spent our first night in our new home. Dorothy turned one while we got settled into our little patch of Heaven.

April: Marty and I celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary. I also turned another year older and wiser. We spent April vacation painting our hearts out and nesting in preparation for our second born.

May: Lucy arrived right on schedule. Grandma Heaps came to help us adjust to life as 4, and the rest of the month was spent getting to know our sweet new baby girl.

June: Grandpa Heaps made a trip to see us and meet Lucy. He constructed a beautiful deck for the back of our house almost over night. I hosted a baby shower for my friend having her first girl. We celebrated the close of another school year for Marty and got our hands dirty out in the garden.

July: We soaked up the summer sun down in North Carolina with trips to the farmer's market, swimming in the pool, eating lots of Pelican's shaved ice, and wonderful time with family.

August: We sweat through the month putting up tomatoes, grape juice, peaches, and more. A few trips for icecream sundaes made the days seem cool and sweet:)

September: Marty began a new school year at the high school. The girls and I got back into the groove of school year life by going to story time at the library, making playdates with friends, and continuing to put up the harvest. Our apple picking trip was a great way to ring in the fall.

October: We made a quick trip to Pennsylvania to can up applesauce and see family. We celebrated 10 years of the Boston Temple by doing service, letting our girls walk around the grounds, and speaking to the youth. We visited the beautiful Walden Pond and loved the crisp fall air. Our first pumpkin pie got our tastebuds excited for more of the fall.

November: Marty became scout master of our ward, and we started trying to get to know the program. We made a trip to the cannery and visited with old friends from my hometown. Our first Thanksgiving in our new home left our hearts overflowing with gratitude, and we began preparations for the Christmas season.

December: We listened to the song "Frosty the Snowman" more times than I care to remember. We had fun picking out and making presents for friends and cousins. We bravely switched the girls into mostly cloth diapers, and took part in a few musical numbers to celebrate the season. Christmas was magical, and we ended the year with a wonderful visit from my mom, dad, and little brother.

And here we are again in January! Here is to another year of excitement, joy, trials, and blessings. Here is to another year to grow and learn. Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Jo Jo said...

My mother so enjoyed your visit! She called me as soon as you left to rave about your cloth diapers! Happy New yEAR

The Scribbles said...

Sounds like a great year! I switched to cloth in November what kind do you use? I use sunbaby pocet diapers and am loving it! Hope this year is just as great!