Thursday, April 2, 2009

blood, sweat, and tears

Yesterday was such an emotional day!

The first week we were home with Dorothy,
we got a call from the doctor's office
saying her thyroid results had come back too high.
This was not a surprise
because I take synthroid daily for hypothyroidism.
We were told that we would need to take her in for bloodwork
this week and a hospital was recommended to us.

Marty was able to come with me and Dorothy to the hospital
(thank goodness).
We went through registration and were sent to the lab.
We were thinking that we would be seen by a pediatric nurse;
however,
just the every day Phlebotomist was there.
She assured us she had a lot of work with infants under her belt,
so we took Dorothy's sweater off and got her ready.

Just wiping down her arm and putting the band around
starting her crying a horrible cry I hadn't heard before.
The nurse tried to draw enough blood
but was unsuccessful after two tries.
She told us to take our poor screaming baby back
to the waiting area while she called for a smaller needle.

After she had settled down,
we were called back in.
As soon as we put her down on the table she started
screaming again, knowing what was about to happen.
This time two nurses restrained her
and had to poke her about 4 more times to get blood.
By this point I was crying too,
and I got even more upset when I overheard the nurses
say to each other,
"is that going to be enough?"
"I don't know."
I don't think I can handle that again,
so I am praying that they got enough.

Our sweet girl was so tired after the whole ordeal
that she spent the rest of the night snuggling with her papa.

I am very grateful for modern medicine,
it just seemed so barbaric to hear Dorothy scream
as they poked her over and over.
I hated that I couldn't explain to her why she had to hurt.
But thank goodness it is over now
and hopefully the results will come back fine.


3 comments:

Mary Casey said...

Oh no! Your poor little girl! What a tough day. :( I'm hoping everything will turn out OK with her blood work. Thinking you all!

Sabra Palmer said...

That is so horrible!! I remember when Maddy was a baby we had to take her to the emergency room. We went through the same thing with an IV, which we later found out was a tech's first time doing. Then a nurse was trying to put an adult catheter into my baby!!! When we finally got mad and said that we wanted someone who knew what they were doing they sent us a real nurse. I spent time in the hall crying tears too. Finally we got an LDS doctor who helped us. Soooo tramatic, but she must have gotten over it, she doesn't remember 10 years later. Dorothy won't either, thank goodness! Hope everything turns out ok.

Aubrey said...

Totally understand. I lost it when they told us that we were discharged but Charlotte needed to stay another 24 hours for phototherapy (looks like the tanning beds). But her poor heels are bruised b/c they needed to get blood to test her belliruben level. This happened over and over again in the hospital. Then we had to take her to the doctors and do another test and this time I watched, which wasn't a good idea - since I was the one crying as Charlotte just laid there fine.