Sunday, May 10, 2009

dia de las mamas

Today has been an emotional day. Of course some of the emotion comes from looking into the face of this sweet girl of mine and knowing that I have the privilege of being her mama. Some of the emotion comes from finally realizing just how much my own mother did to show me her love and raise me well. I finally get what it means to have a mother heart.

But the majority of the emotion came from being sustained into my new ward calling: second counselor in the Relief Society. For the first time since being in this ward, I sat facing the Relief Society sisters for the meeting. Every woman from our ward was in attendance, relieved from their own callings for this special day for mothers. I felt overcome with love for all of those women and overwhelmed by their strength and goodness. I feel honored to be able to spend a period of time serving them. I look forward to all that I will learn and for the many ways I will have to grow in order to fulfill this calling. To make this calling an even more emotional experience, I am stepping into the footsteps of my good friend Allison. She is an incredible woman who put her whole heart into this position. I only hope that I can serve with the same love and energy that she exudes.

To all of the women in my life, thank you. I am better for knowing you. To my little girl, although she cannot yet read or comprehend this, thank you for letting me be your mom. It is one of the greatest honors I think that I will know on this earth.

oh, happy day to ALL women whether mothers yet or not. We all carry the same inherent goodness that qualifies us for the greatest calling in life.

1 comment:

AM said...

kim you are an amazing woman and an awesome mom and i'm so glad to be your friend!