Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Even better.

Have you ever read Oh, the Places You'll Go, by Dr. Seuss? Ezra has been on a Seuss kick lately, so I've been reading that one almost daily. At one point it talks about "the waiting place." I have to admit that the last stretch of this pregnancy has taken me to the waiting place. I'm worn out a lot of the time, so we just don't seem to get out and do all that much. We're just waiting. Ugh. It's not a great place. And then it seems everyone else is out making summer memories. As they should be. As WE should be too!!! 

I decided this morning that the waiting place was no longer a place for us! We were going berry picking and we were going to eat ice cream and this day was going to ooze with summer goodness!! After double checking that everyone had shoes, mostly clean faces, and had gone potty, we buckled into the van. We were literally 7 minutes down the road when the cry came from the back, "I have to go potty!!!" It was not a good place to try and stop, so I told my little one to hold it. We kept driving, missed a turn, got back to where we needed to be, moved up a few more exits, and the cry came again--this time accompanied by bouncing up and down in her seat. I told her to hold tight. We would get off at the next exit. Well, the next exit was not promising. Over a mile down the road, I finally spied a Cumberland Farms and packed all the littles out of the van and into the store. I looked desperately at every corner. NO bathrooms. WHAT? Okay. I'm not feeling so good about leaving the waiting place at this point. We're about 15 minutes from our destination, so I buckle everyone back into the van and plead with my little one to hold it just a bit longer. 

We make it about 5 more minutes down the road when I turn to see how things are going. "Are you still dry?" I get a "no" head nod. "Did you have an accident?" I get a "yes" head nod. I take a deep breath. I turn the van around and announce that we are going to have to change our plans. Moans and groans fill the van, and I am trying not to feel like a total failure. 25 minutes later, we pull into our driveway with a grumpy load of people. My little girly hops out with no apparent wetness on her dress or seat. We go inside to finally resolve this potty issue. Guess what? Her undies are still dry. Yup. All that ridiculousness and there was really no accident after all! 

After some lunch the blood sugar levels are raising and we're all feeling a little better. I really don't want this day to defeat us, so I start scheming. As soon as Marty walks in the door, I announce that I think it is a good time to go to the beach. Within 10 minutes we are ready to go. 

It was meant to be. The weather was beautiful, the water was warm, they were letting people in for free today, the girls were fishes the entire time, and Ezra loved the sand and seaweed. I don't think there was even complaining when we said it was time to wrap it up. We got nearly two hours in at the beach as a family, and we still made it home in time to cook zucchini fritters and Cobb salad for dinner. Finally, we broke out of that stinky old waiting place! And it really felt wonderful! With a victory under my belt, I'm coming up with a whole list of little summer goodies to do with the kids. We'll wait for our baby girl by not just sitting around, waiting. As it should be!




1 comment:

Carly said...

I relate to this SO much! Sadie used to do the accident thing a lot in her car seat- tell us she had an accident when she didn't. I never figured out why.