Thursday, January 22, 2009

And I thought Postum was wonderful...

I've always been a Warm Beverage
kind of gal--
hot chocolate, herbal teas, and apple cider
are all equally appealing to me in this cold weather.


And, I must admit,
I used to LOVE my daily cup (or two or three) of coffee.
We're talking I couldn't get the day going,
I felt quite nauseous if I didn't have it,
LOVED my daily cup.

When I decided that I wanted to live a healthier,
more spiritual life and return to church,
I struggled with giving up coffee.
The smell, the taste, the ritual, I loved it all.

I tried a few different coffee substitutes
to help me get by.
Postum was always my favorite,
but sadly it has been taken off the market.

Well,
while I was at Shaw's yesterday
(stocking up on a wonderful assortment of herbal teas),
I happened to look at the bottom shelf and saw
Caffeine-free HERBAL COFFEE (by teeccino).
WHAT?
What does that mean?
Well, I bought a canister,
along with a small french press,
and decided to find out.

If you love coffee
or loved coffee in your former life,
this stuff is fantastic!
Made with ingredients like barley, chicory root,
dates, almonds, and figs, this stuff reigns over postum.
There is naturally no caffeine,
every cup has potassium and fiber,
and there is only 1 gram of sugar per cup.
Hot chocolate can't even compare.

I think the warm beverage world
just got even more heart warming
for this pregnant lady.

3 comments:

JoshandMegs said...

i'm confused, is this the first time you have ever seen non-caffinated tea? i've always seen this stuff..maybe that is because we have lived in idaho and slc..hmmm.
josh loved coffee when he was young before he joined the church (i don't know why a kid his age was drinking coffee!) I am grateful he doesn't drink it now because we would be broke...he hasn't drank it since but he says he still loves that smell and the taste.

Becky said...

you seriously love this more than hot chocolate? I'm skeptical, but willing. :)

The Vieiras said...

I've seen all sorts of other kinds of caffeine-free, coffee-like drinks, but this one is the best I've tried. It's actually a medium grind, so you brew it like coffee (that's why I had to get the french press as well)--it's not instant or in a tea bag. They probably do sell more products like this out west though.